Monday, October 06, 2008

Wake me up in May

After getting the kids off to school, I dragged my sorry ass out for a Starbucks quad-shot latte, a loaf of bread, and a pumpkin. With Halloween just around the corner, the kids have been asking for a pumpkin, and the supermarket had a load of them -- big ones, too -- at $5.99 each, so I figured what the hey.

My son's Boy Scout troup (he's a Webelo II) had its popcorn sale on Saturday, and last night, while everyone was downstairs watching "Serial Mom," I decided to lay back in bed with a handful of caramel corn (with pecans and cashews), and follow it with a shot of M&Ms.

It turned out not to have been a great idea, because I spent the night pretty much awake, which is unusual for me by this time of year.

It's an established fact that I am not the hale and hearty outdoorsy type. That said, I do have a favorite season, and it isn't fall. It sure as hell isn't winter, or even spring. Summer is my season, and I wish it could last forever. I love the heat (but am thankful for central AC; I mean, I'm not entirely irrational), and my energy during the months of May, June, July and especially August is boundless. Come the first whispers of chill autumn air, and it's pretty much over for me. I can sleep 20 out of 24.

Saturday night, for example, I fell asleep at around 9:30 pm, and was woken up at 8:30 am by my son -- who needed to be at Sunday school at 9. I dressed quickly, gave him breakfast, and was out the door by 8:50. I positively struggled to make it to noon, when I picked him up and brought him home. I helped my husband (he's a den leader) gather materials for a solar system mobile for the Scout meeting Wednesday night, helped my daughter study her Italian, took the dog out, refilled the bird feeder...and fell into bed again at around 2, promptly falling asleep until 5. And if not for that ill-conceived bedtime snack of caramel corn and M&Ms, I would have fallen into yet another deep slumber until 5:30 this morning, when my husband's alarm goes off (mine goes off a half-hour later, at 6).

I would go back to bed this very minute, but the housekeeper is upstairs right now changing sheets and cleaning, and this latte is doing what it's supposed to do, so I guess I'd better find something with which to occupy myself. There are a bunch of magazines I haven't gotten to yet -- Wired, Make, Popular Science and Doctor Who -- and I suppose this is as good a day as any to curl up on the sofa and read. I'm even thinking of throwing a couple of logs in the fireplace; it's just that kind of grey, raw day. It's the kind of day that makes me think of Wuthering Heights, molasses cookies, plaid skirts, flannel jammies and my absolute favorite Doctor Who episode ever, "Blink."

Suddenly, fall doesn't seem quite so hopeless.

It must be the caffeine talking.

5 comments:

Will McKinley said...

Housekeeper?

Cheryl Podolsky said...

Not live-in. I just have trouble with the term, "cleaning lady"; it sounds so...I don't know.

Will McKinley said...

Is her name Alice?

Cheryl Podolsky said...

Oh, how I wish.

Will McKinley said...

I think Ann B. Davis is available.

She hasn't worked since '74 (excluding the occasional reunion movie).