Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My daughter, snarkmeister

I realize that, as a parent, I am probably in the minority when I say that I actually enjoy my children's sarcasm. Not when it's delivered in a sullen or cutting way and directed at me, of course, but when they come up with some clever and totally off-the-cuff remark, my heart practically bursts with pride. I may still reign supreme, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if one day my scepter passes to my daughter, Emma. She's 12-years-old and in middle school; not an easy time, neither for her, nor for me. But we'll get through it all.

Whether she acquired this sarcastic prowess environmentally or genetically, I couldn't say, but damn if she doesn't come up with zingers that do me proud. Certainly, she needs to learn -- and is, in fact, learning -- to know the when and where of it all, as well as the to whom, because it isn't always appropriate, and certainly not always appreciated.

Although she knows that I started a blog, I wasn't all that certain she had actually ever looked at it. Let's face it -- your mother's random ramblings can't exactly compete with the lure of Facebook, or the contents of one's iPod. This afternoon, though, I mentioned to her that I had redesigned my blog a bit, and casually asked if she had ever seen it.

"Oh -- you mean your menopause blog?" she answered. "Yeah, I've seen it."

And that was the end of that.

6 comments:

babyrocasmama said...

OUCH!! What away with words!

And yep, it's genetic. My angel is already a smart-ass! We are so screwed when she hits puberty!

BTW, I could make you a blog button, if you like. It won't be spectacular, but it will be functional. I am not well schooled in graphics, etc. yet. But I made Queenie Jeannie's sunshine button for her & she loves it (not the one she had made into a pendant)!

Let me know.

Amanda said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Now that is funny!

babyrocasmama said...

I have something for you on my blog. Please come claim it.



Shan

TMI said...

I love sarcasm! I think it is deeply misunderstood by many people, but I always appreciate a little sarcasm! We'll see how I react when/if my daughter ever gets sarcastic with me. Your daughter suonds like a treat! So funny.

Cheryl Podolsky said...

I feel compelled to add that, for the record, I am most definitely NOT menopausal. Probably perimenopausal, but no hot flashes yet!

Amanda said...

Tag, you're it.